5.21.2013

If it Looks like a Duck, Walks like a Duck, and Quacks like a Duck...







{Ross: top similar, denim vest similar; Hollister: boot cut jeans; Charlotte Russe: shoes similar; F21: fedora similar, arrow necklace similar
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, is it a duck? One would assume yes, am I right? Well, no. Not all is as it seems. Just because a duck happens to be heart achingly gorgeous, annoyingly good at heart melting like warm butter down hot toast winking, and expert at saying errrr I mean quacking the right phrases, I mean quacks, at the right time does that necessarily mean that he's a gentleman...I mean duck?? NO. And yes, of course the metaphorical ducks I am referring to here would be men. Obviously. More specifically of the utterly attractive variety. Not all that glitters is golden. Not all perfectly coiffed hair equals great personality. Not all perfectly fitted outfits and snug jeans equal compatibility. Not all bright white even smiles and perfectly timed glances equal perfect gentleman.

Growing up, my dear mom always told me about how her own dad told her to watch out for those guys who were solid 10's on the 1-10 attractive scale, because they were the ones who had been around the block, who were accustomed to getting whatever they wanted and knew exactly how to get it. She told me that of course not all attractive men were like this, I mean, just look at Dad, but I needed to be on the look out nonetheless. Be on my toes. Growing up she also stressed the importance of marrying someone who I was physically attracted to because I didn't want to wake up every morning and not like the person I saw lying next to me. Somewhere along the way, though, I seem to have jumbled up all of this advice. I stopped being on my toes for those attractive jerks. I stopped noticing when the person I was drinking hot coco with, or watching a movie with, was a total and complete jerk to everyone other than myself. I took, "find someone that YOU'RE attracted to", to mean find the hottest piece of male specimen on the entire face of the earth.

Only in recent years did I realize my mistake, and how I had completely forgotten the point of my mom's sage advice. People in general are just so interesting, unique, and beautiful in their own way. Everyone has their own quirks and adorable tendencies that make them just so dang loveable and worth the time to get to know them whether or not their shoes match their shirt, or their nose is perfectly European. That's not to say that every Joe out there has the potential to be "the one", but they shouldn't just be brushed off purely based on lack of "perfect" hotness. When I realized my mistake I decided to reevaluate my priorities. I decided to see the person behind the hair, the person behind the jeans, the person behind the perfect or not so perfect smile. Not every guy out there has to be the perfect 6ft tall Josiah Hawley type. That wouldn't be fair.
Not that I'd say no to a guy that just so happened to look like that AND have the type of personality and qualities that are important to this girl...(; But, I realize it's not fair to expect all guys out there to look utterly divine. There's so much more to people and the world in general than outer appearances. As my mom now told me recently, "As long as YOU like him, it doesn't matter whether or not he's America's next male model. Looks aren't everything." Looks aren't everything, simple concept yet so important. What do you guys think? What made YOU fall in love with your significant others, OR what do YOU look for when you're looking for that significant other? Well, that's all I guess. I'm off to celebrate one of my best friend's birthday!

Much Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY AMANDA INEZ