1.29.2013

If you give a fish a field trip...






{dress: Pacsun, top: old, tights//hat: F21, boots: Tilly's}
I'm sure you've all read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie right? Of course you all have, who hasn't? Well, I had my own 'if you give a mouse a cookie' moment last week at my biology class. For my biology class one of the things we have to do throughout the semester is monitor Emigration Creek which flows through campus. My professor takes this project VERY seriously. As those of you who are close to me know, my biology class has been a struggle for me so far. Not because it's difficult or anything but because it just doesn't capture my attention AT ALL so I tend to fall asleep, daydream, or work on other homework. Science has always been the most boring subject for me, and I've always been really grateful for the people who are actually interested in science because if the world were full of people like me then nobody would have learned anything about the world and why things happen. I would've totally been one of those people in ancient Greece who came up with mythology to explain things. Some kid would've asked me, "hey why does such and such thing happen", and my response would have been to come up with some cock and bull story to explain it all, because in my opinion who even cares? I mean, I understand it's importance but for me there are so many other interesting things to learn about, like literature, music, art, or all things creative. But, hey, that's just me! Well, back to my 'if you give a mouse a cookie' moment. Last week we went out to the creek for a tutorial on how we needed to take the various measurements we needed and such. We collected all of our gear and headed out. Once we reached the creek and the professor started talking I completely zoned out. There was just so much to look at and so much nature to appreciate! It's seriously so beautiful out there! Then it got me thinking, hey this isn't entirely my fault because...If you give a fish a field trip to the creek she will want to appreciate nature. When she starts to appreciate nature, she will want to daydream. When she starts daydreaming she will stop listening, and when she stops listening she won't have a clue how to do her measurements next time it's a creek monitoring day. The moral of this story is don't take this fish on a field trip! Or, actually, do take this fish on a field trip but don't require her to take a dumb biology class!

Happy Tuesday!



Today actually happened to be a creek monitoring day...we're doing this in pairs and unfortunately for me I happened to befriend and partner up with the only other girl in the class who is exactly like me and spends the majority of class in lalaland. We're smart girls, though, so we managed to figure out how to do our measurements, calculations, and conversions all on our own! Who needs the professor (who happens to look and sound exactly like Mr. Ratburn from Arthur) anyway right? Not these ladies! Oh and what you're all looking at are the nifty little water boots I need to wear to get into the creek and one of the cool little doodads that we use to measure temperature and such. Creek monitoring as it turns out, is actually really fun! I mean, who doesn't like splashing around in a creek like a 5 year old while getting to act all professional  taking measurements?!

4 comments:

  1. Allexis,
    I enjoy reading your posts. I especially love this one! Probably because I love children's books, and that was your theme. Cute title! But mostly, I liked this post because you're honest telling makes me smile and is so relatable. Enjoy every minute of school. Someday you may miss the time you have now to devote to your own learning. At least I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Randi, you're just the sweetest!! I'll do my best to enjoy every minute of it!

      xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't read that book! Your outfit is cute, lots of layers work for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't read it? That's almost sinful! Even though it's a children's book I recommend you check it out ASAP, it's a classic! :) Thanks a bunch!! Layers definitely help during the winter. :)

      xx

      Delete

DESIGN BY AMANDA INEZ