2.17.2013

An Indian summer in the middle of a winter







{Lace top: Abercrombie similar, skirt: F21, sandals: Ross similar, bracelet: borrowed similar}
The past couple of days the weather here in Utah has been steadily warming up. On Friday we even reached 47!! Anyway, it was so warm I got all excited for summer and decided I wanted to finally break in this bright flowy maxi skirt, even though we're still technically in the middle of winter. I bought the skirt at the beginning of January at F21 for $12! It's still in stock in stores and online so if I were you I'd definitely go buy one! It comes in a variety of colors and I for one will buying a couple more when I have some cash. Anyway, I actually styled it a different way and wore it for a photo shoot I had with the best friend yesterday. Can I say I'm just DYING to see how the pictures turned out! She's an incredible photographer! She does it more as a hobby but as far as I'm concerned she might as well be pro.

Anyway, I was having a very reflective morning today. I got to thinking about memories and all of the little things and experiences that make my life the life it is and make me the person that I am. Then a thought that has been coming up for me a lot lately struck me. What would my 13 year old self think of me? Am I living a life my 13 year old self would be proud of? Am I the woman that 13 year old wide eyed girl wanted me to be? In honor of my ruminating I decided to write a quick letter to my 13 year old self.

Dear 13 year old Allexis,
If I could somehow actually deliver this letter to you and have you read it there are a few things I would like to tell you. First, stop stressing so much about your hair. Having big curly hair that is so different from everyone else's isn't the end of the world. I know right now you think that having perfectly straight shiny hair is the epitome of beauty but you're wrong. Beauty is what makes each person unique and for you that's having about 20lbs of curly hair. Right now it may seem unmanageable and wild but soon enough you'll get the hang of it and learn how to appreciate it. In the long run you'll be thankful that Mom and Dad didn't let you straighten it to fit in with the other girls because our hair is so much healthier now because of it. Our curls give us personality and we wouldn't quite be ourselves without them. I'm proud of the choices in friends you've made. Instead of trying to chase the "in crowd" you embraced your quirky orchestra dork self and made valuable lifelong friends. Melissa, Angelica, and Marilyn? They're all still around and some of your very best and closest friends. Good choice. Your hard work in school is definitely paying off! We will be graduating college next spring!! I know you have three very clear career choices in mind right now but I'm not pursuing any of them. Now, before you get too mad there are reasons for this. One, lets be honest, we can't act to save our lives so being a famous movie star was never really gonna happen. Sorry, keep fantasizing, though, it makes you happy! Two, I know right now you think you're going through a growth spurt that will make you so tall you'll be a runway model. Truth is, you were going through a growth spurt but it only took you to the height of 5'3. Again, sorry. Finally, being an author. That one was your only realistic choice and I am actually still writing, and I'm working on some good stories but as far as schooling goes I'm not pursuing that as a major. Mostly, because I don't want to invest a butt load of money to get an English degree since writing is something that has always come naturally to us. Right now I'm working on getting into advertising or graphic design so our creativity WILL be put to use don't fret. I promise you, though, that once I've graduated I will give being an author more serious effort! There have been some small blips on the road to who we are that you wouldn't be proud of but nobody is perfect and I've worked hard to learn from and correct those mistakes. I'm working hard to give you that future you envisioned. That one where you're a unique, graceful, and accomplished woman, wife, and mother who is loved by an eternal family. We're not quite there yet but we're close. For now, keep on dreaming, fantasizing, reading, and just plain and simple goofing off. Appreciate the simplicity that comes with being 13. Keep on practicing and using that imagination that makes us the perpetual dreamer that we are today.

Keep your head in the clouds!

Love,

Your 20 going on 21 year old self

No comments:

Post a Comment

DESIGN BY AMANDA INEZ